Nothing compares to the happiness of welcoming a new bundle of joy to the world, and it is an occasion that most definitely calls for a celebration. While, in the past, baby showers were only popular over in the States, the excuse to meet with loved ones and enjoy time as a family has taken the UK by storm. However, with so many possibilities to consider when planning your very own baby shower, it can be overwhelming to know where to begin. So as your personal event planning experts, we have put together some of our favourite baby shower ideas for some inspiration. Whether you are planning a virtual catch-up or an in-person gathering, we have you covered with our top baby shower ideas UK!
Creative Baby Shower Ideas UK
Whether you are keeping in with the tradition and planning your baby shower ahead of the birth date or waiting until the newest member of the family can attend, it is always guaranteed to be a day filled with fun. Baby showers are a wonderful way to celebrate your news with those that mean the most, and as every occasion is personal, it is entirely your choice how you wish to make the day extra special.
If you are less keen on the conventional idea of a baby shower and looking for something a little different, then the planning process can be somewhat daunting. Luckily, we’re here to fill you with fabulous ideas, so let’s take a closer look at the following and start planning a day to remember!
- Virtual Baby Shower Ideas
- Baby Shower Decoration Ideas
- Baby Shower Cake Ideas
- Baby Shower Food Ideas
- Baby Shower Games Ideas
- Baby Shower Photo Ideas
- Baby Shower Favour Ideas
Ready For More Fantastic Event Ideas?
Subscribe to our mailing list for more inspiration and tips!
Although we will add suggestions on how to make some of our ideas video call-friendly, we have also dedicated this section to virtual baby shower ideas. If your guests are not able to travel to physically join you in celebration of your new baby, you can still celebrate with them virtually!
When planning a virtual baby shower, your first step will be to choose which live video platform you will use. While Zoom calls have become ever so popular, you are limited to 40 minutes unless you pay for a subscription, so we recommend using an alternative. Skype, Facebook Messenger Rooms and FaceTime are all great options and allow for plenty of participants without a time limit. Once you have chosen a platform, be sure to send a digital invitation to your guests, letting them know the time, date and any extra information such as whether they need to download apps or create an account. What To Expect has put together a great guide with more details on how to plan a virtual baby shower.
One of the easiest ways to make the planning process of any event as straightforward as possible and find a host of baby shower decoration ideas is to choose a theme. This is particularly beneficial if you’re new to baby shower planning and need a little direction. Why? Because a decor theme allows every aspect, even the small details, to be based around just one topic. Trust us, everything from balloons and bunting to napkins and plates will be a breeze to find and coordinate when you have a theme in mind!
If you have been trusted to be responsible for planning a baby shower on behalf of someone else, then you’ll most definitely have to speak with them to gauge an idea of their interests. Think about the themes that represent their personality and hobbies, something that they will truly enjoy every minute of. Those who are planning their own celebration, on the other hand, the power is in your hands. You can be as weird and wonderful or simple and peaceful as you wish, so don’t hesitate to think outside of the box! Just some of the many gorgeous quirky decor themes that we adore include:
- Boho – If you love nothing more than embracing nature and setting off on adventures, then the boho theme is for you. Fill your day with flowers, cosy blankets and plenty of fairy lights for the ultimate laid-back vibes.
- Safari – Take a walk on the wild side with a safari themed baby shower, incorporating jungle animals and wild plants. You can find a whole host of beautiful photos to inspire you on Pinterest.
- Fairytale – Throw the perfect celebration for your very own princess or prince with the enchanting fairytale theme. Every decoration can be filled with delicate details and calming pastel colours.
- Nursery Rhymes – While there are hundreds of nursery rhymes to choose from, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is our favourite, based on the theme of moons and stars for a magical look.
The Bump has put together a super helpful article with more fabulous baby shower themes. If you’re stuck on how to decide on the best option, then we also suggest taking a read through Versoma guide to choosing your perfect theme.
In more recent years, bold, centrepiece cakes have created a focal point in all manner of events, including baby showers. So, if, just like us, you feel no event is complete without a delicious slice of cake, then you’ll be pleased to know that we have plenty of baby shower cake ideas!
The beauty of planning any celebration cake is that the possibilities are endless; you can pair your favourite flavours with a design that complements your theme. And for those less keen on ordering an entire cake, you do not necessarily have to go with a traditional style; if you prefer cupcakes or even cake pops, there is no reason why you cannot choose these instead. In fact, if you are planning a virtual baby shower, then these ideas will make it much easier to drop a tasty treat to each of your guests to enjoy.
Regardless of the cake style, type or flavour that you opt for, it will be entirely your choice whether you bake it yourself or order from a professional. If you choose to take on the challenge, then you’ll be able to find beautiful personalised cake toppers on Not On The High Street, along with super cute decorations over on Cake Craft World. Alternatively, for those putting together a design to send to an expert cake maker, then you can find a host of inspiration to match every theme on The Cuddl!
Although there are tones of baby shower food ideas, here at The Big Collective, we must admit that we do have a sweet tooth. Our favourite food idea is to create a delicious dessert table filled with treats that will accompany your baby shower theme. It is also a fantastic, not to mention super tasty, way that you can keep your guests fuelled for the afternoon. There will be no need to hire catering or spend hours preparing dishes as we can almost guarantee that your loved ones will be thrilled with the idea of helping themselves to a host of goodies.
Not only is incorporating a dessert table into your baby shower a mouthwatering addition, but it also creates a centrepiece for your decor, whether you may be hosting in a venue or from the comfort of your home. Our chocolate fountain in London, in particular, always goes down a treat (quite literally) in all manner of events. Packages include not only a selection of dipping foods of your choice but also skewers, napkins, bowls, plates and LED lighting for decoration. You could even opt for having our fully trained uniformed attendant on hand for the duration of your baby shower for a helping hand!
If you do not want to offer desserts only, then there is no reason why you cannot use this idea for savoury snacks. There are hundreds of tasty buffet-style foods that you can prepare for your guests while ensuring that there is something for everyone, such as:
It simply wouldn’t be a baby shower without a host of fun games to keep your guests entertained. Now, while the traditional options such as guess the baby food will always guarantee giggles, there are hundreds of alternatives to consider if you are looking for something a little different. These ideas can also easily be tailored if you are planning a virtual baby shower and include:
- Who’s That Baby? – Ask all of your guests to bring along a photo of themselves as a baby. Pop them all onto the wall and label each with a number. Give guests 15 minutes to match the number with the correct person, and the one with the most correct answers wins. If you are celebrating via video call, simply put all of the photos together into a collage and then screen share.
- Guess The Items – Gather a selection of common newborn-related items and place one into a bag. Pass the bag around the guests and get them to feel inside the bag without looking before writing down what they think it is. Keep going until all items have been used, then see who guessed the most right. For virtual baby showers, ask each of your loved ones to prepare a bag for another guest and then get them to drop it off ahead of the celebrations.
- Name That Tune – Put together a list of songs which include the word “baby”. Play just five or ten seconds of the song to your guests and encourage them to name that tune!
- Guess The Famous Parent – Before your baby shower, write the names of famous parents on pieces of paper, and place them into a hat. Each guest at a time, get them to pick out a name without looking and show the rest to the guest. They will then have to guess who they are, with everyone else only being able to answer with “yes” or “no”. Again, this can easily be tailored for virtual baby showers.
Another creative way that you can add interactive entertainment to your baby shower is by taking advantage of our graffiti wall hire in London. Set up and managed by our friendly team, the digital graffiti wall allows guests to become a graffiti artist for the day with the chance to make use of virtual spray cans and an array of special effects. Once complete, all creations can then be printed onto keepsakes for guests to take home with them, whether this may be a mug, tea towel or keyring.
The purpose of a baby shower is to make memories and celebrate your new arrival with loved ones, which means that capturing the special moments is essential. A super trendy addition to events, which we adore, is creating a beautiful photo backdrop that fits perfectly with your theme. You can make the most of your DIY backdrop by hiring a photobooth in London to document the monumental event!
For our baby shower planners who love getting creative using DIY techniques, putting together a balloon arch is an easy yet fabulous option. All you will need to do is pick up a sturdy fishing line which will act as your arch frame, along with plenty of balloons in your colour theme and a glue gun. For an extra touch, you could even add artificial flowers and foliage. Once you have put together all of your materials, then head over to ProFlowers for an easy 9-step balloon arch tutorial.
There is no better way to capture your baby shower than through a photo booth. Having offered photo booth hire in London for many years, our team will pair you with the best-suited package for your event. We have a vast selection of super modern, interactive booths available to fit your needs, from the selfie pod to iPad photo booth; all of which can be customised to your baby shower.
After you’ve arranged entertainment, food, and decorations for your shower, only one question remains: what favours do you give at a baby shower? Here are some fun and creative ideas to give you some inspiration as to what to get your guests to thank them for attending your shower:
- Personalise Your Favours – Add a personal touch to your baby shower favours by customising each gift with the recipient’s name to let them know you care. This could be as simple as named gift tags with a short note, or you could even have customised mugs or shirts made!
- Stick With The Theme – If you’ve chosen a theme for your decorations, food and entertainment, why not incorporate it into your favours too?
- DIY – Don’t worry if you have a tight budget to stick to; handmade favours will make lovely parting gifts for your guests to express your gratitude. These could be anything from carefully designed cards to homemade bakes.
- Make A Pun Out Of It – We love the idea of giving your guests a chuckle by making a ‘shower’ pun with your favours! You could create little bundles of luxury shower items with tags saying ‘We hope you enjoyed our baby ‘shower’!
Ready To Celebrate Your New Arrival?
The thought of planning any event type can be a little daunting, but this most definitely needn’t be the case. Especially when it comes to a baby shower, the celebration needs to be enjoyable and relaxing, allowing expectant parents to spend time with their loved ones. The day needs to be extra special and incorporate a touch of personality into every aspect, so don’t be afraid to think outside the box and be creative. If you would like some help making your celebration one to remember, feel free to get in touch with our team of highly experienced entertainment providers. If you are looking for an event venue in London to host your baby shower in, check out our previous article.
Contact Us Today!
Get in touch with our team to begin designing your bespoke hire package.